Desalination and Secondary Use of Deep Seawater
Desalination utilizing small temperature difference, as well as power generation.
Note) Above mentioned model case is the only one of the combinations. We can redesign the system flexibly and propose the most suitable system to clients, according to their needs and the conditions of the installation site.
- Warm seawater is supplied into a depressurized flash chamber.
- Warm seawater evaporates itself instantly in the flash chamber,
which is called "flash evaporation".
- The vapor is directed to the condenser.
- The vapor is cooled and condensed by cooling water to turn into fresh water.
Characteristics of Desalination
- Integration with power generation
Combination with OTEC/DTEC enables simultaneous power generation and desalination.
- Applicable to low quality raw seawater
Tough against low quality raw seawater. No need for skilled operator for seawater quality control before desalination.
- High quality product water
Distilled water can be produced, which is easy to be used for industrial usage as well as drinking water.
- Very important technology in the regions with scarce water resources such as Middle East or the island countries.
Multi-Purpose Utilization of Deep Seawater
Deep seawater pumped up for power generation can be utilized for multiple purposes.
Features of Deep Seawater
- Low temperature
Less than 5℃ at 1000 m depth in general throughout the year.
- Nutrition richness
Resolved nutrients are not consumed and accumulated, due to little consumption by phytoplankton.
- High purity
Little contamination caused by organisms.
- Stability of water quality
Temperature and quality of water is stable throughout the year.